Saturday, June 13, 2015

Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

"And Mary kept all of these things, reflecting on them in her heart."  Luke 2:19


                                  Mercy and Punishment

I have pondered these words and have tried to understand if God really does punish us.  I heard Jesus speak these words, "we have distorted the meaning of Mercy", several months ago. I have passed these words on to others and pondered them myself for several months.  I have a book of readings from Divine Mercy that I read almost daily.  The answer is clear in St. Faustina's Diary.

I was introduced to St. Faustina and the message of Divine Mercy twenty-five years ago. My favorite line was and still is, "The greatest sinner deserves my mercy the most".  For all mankind that promise from Jesus should open the door of the soul and bring about the greatest sigh of relief as well as a purging of sin.  Unfortunately some people believe that there is no need to confess and do penance for our sins, as Jesus says over and over again in his words to St. Faustina, "Trust in my Mercy".  There is however a follow up.  On June 11 in the book I am following by Fr. George W. Kossicki, C. S. B., this is what I read.

"O my God, even in the punishments You send down upon the earth I see the abyss of Your mercy, for by punishing us here on earth You free us from eternal punishment.  Rejoice, all you creatures, for you are closer to God in his infinite mercy than a baby in a mother's heart.  Oh God You are compassion itself, for the greatest sinners, WHO SINCERELY REPENT. (Key to the understanding of Divine Mercy).  The greater the sinner, the greater his right to God's mercy. (423) This also answers the question, does God really send punishment on us?  Yes he does and for good reason. 

We have been given a great and royal priesthood, amazing men have given there lives over to God for our sake, for the sake of our souls and the purpose of purifying us through the sacraments in order that we may have eternal life with Jesus in heaven.  Pray hard for them, they are more necessary to your soul than food and shelter. 

Not long ago I said to Jesus, "My life is such a mess I must need some very well qualified psychiatrist or doctor.  His words to me, "Under every white collar I am the healer".  And so it is true, a courageous priest and a determined person can accomplish the healing necessary for anyone.  

May Gods will be done in all of our lives, Margaret of Souls for Jesus.


No comments: