Sunday, June 7, 2015

"I am the Bread of Life"



As a child I believed every thing I saw on those stained glass windows and beautiful murals around our church of St. John the Baptist in Hopkinton, Massachusetts.  I totally loved going to Mass.  I remember the joy that went through the parishioners as the Priest processed the Blessed Sacrament up and down the isles and blessed us all.  The Priest had a look of joy on his face, as he knew he was giving a very special blessing to each and everyone of us.  I have carried that moment in my mind and in my heart for close to 60 years.

As a young wife of a Baptist husband I joined Christian Bible studies and spent time in the Baptist Church. I remember feeling so disappointed at the worship services. I liked the Vacation Bible School for my children and the wonderful nursery school attended by 4 of my 5 sons. We rarely had a communion service. On that special day when we were listening to the Pastor say the words of Jesus from the "Last Supper discourse", I asked Jesus myself,  "what is this about?" never thinking he would answer, this is what I saw, I saw Jesus at the Last Supper, speaking the same words that the Pastor was saying. I was a little confused but I realized from having been a Catholic most of my life that this vision was not telling me we were receiving the Body and Blood of Christ.  

Very shortly after this I chose to go to the Catholic Mass at St. Mary's in Holliston, Massachusetts. On the second day I received the Body of Christ and then moved to the Precious Blood. As I held the cup, time stood still, I saw the face of Christ with the Crown of Thorns come up out of the wine, His words to me were, "This is my blood given for you". My observation is that there is a distinct difference between a worship service and a Catholic Mass. The real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist makes all the difference. 

If you do not believe or understand the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist, pray for understanding.  Don't just partake in the Mass without acknowledging the sacrifice made for you personally.  Do not line up as if you are grabbing a ticket to heaven.  Be grateful, be thankful, say "AMEN".   The depth of our faith and our union with Jesus centers around the suffering and death of Mary's Son Jesus Christ.  Join her at the foot of the cross and ask questions. Pay attention and the answers will come to you. 

With love and respect for all those searching for the Pure Truth, that is Jesus, I am Margaret of Souls for Christ.

No comments: