Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Solemnity of the Sacred Heart


As I contemplate the coming Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus I look at this statue that has been in my family since the late 1800' s. I don't know the exact history of how or who brought it into the family but when you entered the dinning room of Uncle David and Aunt Gin there he stood. There were 4 children on my father's side of the family. One boy and 3 girls. Bud, my father, passed away in 1975. His sister Virginia four years ago in her early 90's and now sister, Kathleen will be laid to rest on June 11, 2015. The day before the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart. 

I correlate all of this with the article on marriage and Pope Francis as I ponder what my ancestors are thinking when in the year 2015 we are defending the rights of children to male and female parents. Who purchased this statue? Why was it kept in the family for so many years? It symbolizes faith, mercy, morality, Catholic Christian values. I consider it a great gift as it was passed on to me by Aunt Virginia and her son Peter. I have dozens of cousins.  How many of us darken the doors of the Catholic Church?  My family is the new normal.  One or two church goers, everyone else no longer interested.  What are we trading in our eternal lives for?  What is more freeing than love for God, neighbor and family.  

I imagine my two Aunts, Kathleen with 9 children and Gin with 7 saying, thanks Marg for appreciating who we are and how we lived our lives. Faith and courage are synonymous. How does one have courage without faith?  The women of the past had faith enough to bring forth life. 

No comments: