Tuesday, September 29, 2015

All Things to All

I am watching and listening very carefully to Our Holy Father, Francis.  He seems to be capturing the most difficult evangelic directive given to us by St. Paul. 

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

Although I am free in regard to all. I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew to win over Jews; to those under the law I became like one under the law--though I myself am not under the law--to win over those under the law. To those outside the law I became like one outside the law--though I am not outside God's law but within the law of Christ--to win over those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, to win over the weak. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the gospel, so that I too may have a share in it.

For me this has been such a difficult scripture to wrap my little mind around. I have often wondered if I would be able to do this when necessary.  Most of the time I just don't say anything or too much.

I see incredible strength and holy genius in our Pope. We can help him and Jesus by offering our little suffering and prayers for the Pope and the world.

Margaret of Souls for Jesus

Photo courtesy of George Martell taken September 2015 in Philadelphia.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Perfect quote for Pope Francis! I was practically on retreat for the week watching live streams of his visit. One very important reminder for me was "Love your enemies" and it came at a time when I was being tempted to see our pro-abortion sisters as enemies is my pro-life work. Pope Francis inspired me to write a novena prayer to St. Therese, which I promoted on twitter. As my pro-life work has always had me talking with the woman considering abortion, it is in the political arena that I was tempted to forget to love.