Monday, January 1, 2018

The Solemnity of Mary the Mother of God


Welcome to the New Year. As we were talking about the events of 2017 Bill and I realized that it took nine months to get us from the farm in Center Conway, NH to our new life in Supply, North Carolina. When we began to get the farm in Center Conway ready for sale we had no idea we would be moving any further than Colebrook, NH. Well we made a huge change after spending a week in the warm water off the coast of North Carolina.

We worked so hard that I was not only exhausted after our first week in NC but every joint hurt and had been hurting for a couple of weeks. Because it was joint pain I was concerned, thinking maybe I had finally over done it for my health and age. Bill and Dan found a Home Depot, department store and a nail salon about 17 miles from the house. They came home and said, Margaret go and do something for yourself. I was in so much pain I was reluctant but the thought of sitting and having a little personal time and care did seem like a good idea. I am telling all of this because it was the second unexpected God event since our arrival.

The first event was the neighbors who were the first to introduce themselves, Mary and Joseph, while the movers were unpacking the truck Joseph came over to welcome us to the neighborhood followed by Mary his wife. It was a very welcome kiss from God.

This next event was truly amazing. As you drive around the south you see many more churches than we have in the north. hundreds of them and signs on lawns saying "Thank you Jesus." Most of the signs look the same but the churches are every size, shape, color and name.

Being in so much pain I wondered if I would be able to sit in the chair at the nail salon long enough to get the job done, so what - I will try. I am seated at the desk of a young man from Vietnam with the sign, "Thank You Jesus." He took one look at me and started preaching only his subject matter was anything but anti Catholic. I expected the "Are you saved," speech but instead he began to tell me about how the Protestant Pastors are always trying to teach him about the bible. They want him to understand that the priest are no closer to God than anyone else and they should be allowed marriage. Much to my surprise this man from Vietnam in his very broken English teaches the Pastors by telling them, "Who do you think God listens to? A man who has given up everything or a man who has everything including wife and children. He tells them that if I need my prayers answered I am going to a priest who has given up wife, children and the material wealth of this world in order to serve Jesus. A priest is living like Jesus.

This man talking to me is not a Catholic, he goes to the Spanish Mass because the timing is right, he can go to work afterwards. The next argument he faces is Mary, why do the Catholics pray to Mary?? All this time he is caring for my nails. He beams when he preaches about Mary, he tells the Protestant Ministers that she has been chosen among millions of women to have the most important child ever born. He goes on about how God loves Mary and chose her above every other woman ever created and don't you think she is worthy of praise and don't you think God is going to listen to her. So here is this young man in his broken but very understandable English preaching on Mary.

I don't want to sound melodramatic but the pain began to ease out of my bones, I kept staring at him as if he was really from God and much closer to God than anyone I have met in a long time.
The pain in my body left me that day. "Were is God? God is everywhere." Does God love Mary? should we love Mary? I think so, even in the south I will feel very comfortable speaking the way he did about the Priesthood and the Most Holy Mother of God.

THANK YOU JESUS
Margaret of Souls for Jesus

No comments: